Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Next Six Years: My Two Cents on the National Elections

If you count the years from the inauguration of the next president on June, 2010 until he steps down, that would be a full six years. By that time, I am supposed to be a doctor already. Maybe even starting my own little family. I am in my own little world. Or am I?

In less than a month, our nation would once again choose the person to lead us in the next six years. This is my second presidential election. The last time, I actually voted for the dwarf in the palace. This time, after much consideration, I have finally decided on who I am going to vote for.

Contrary to what other people may say, no, I don't really believe in surveys. I do believe, however, in the charisma of a person. And how that person is packaged. To quote from the Broadway musical, Wicked:

"Think of: celebrated heads of state or specially good communicators -- did they have brains or knowledge? Don't make me laugh! They were popular, please! It's all about popular! It's not about aptitude, it's the way you're viewed. So it's very shrewed to be very, very popular like -- me!"

I guess one of the reasons why somehow I understand the pulse of the people is because of our exposure to community organizing. I mean, how can one understand the common tao if one is not exposed to them, right? If one spends most of their time caged inside laboratories and classrooms, how will you understand how the masses -- which comprise a lot more than half of the population -- think? And in a country where the a single vote from the masses is equal to a single vote from the privileged or one who was able to obtain higher education, one couldn't ignore the fact that the vote of the masses can really make or break a candidate.

I know that many people from my caste are going to question my choice of presidential bet. But as I have stated before, I am not voting for my candidate to win, but rather, I am voting so that his strongest contender will lose.

In a country where it is possible to make a political party from dust, to thrust whatever programs they want to force into the already confusing system, one can not help but think -- if you are really for your country, why do you have to form your own party and not just unite with what was the legitimate parties before. Dito kasi sa atin, hindi tayo nagpapatalo. Kung hindi tayo magiging leader sa isang organisasyon, pipilitin nating gumawa ng isang organisasyon na pwede tayong maging leader. Ganyan ang political parties natin -- hindi tayo magkasya sa dalawa o tatlo lang. Hindi ba't ang ganyang pag-iisip -- ang pag-iisip na hindi ka makikiisa dahil lang hindi ka napiling leader ay isang pamantayan na kung gaano ka makasarili?

Regarding surveys, one must take into consideration that surveys are not just some random sampling of people walking down the street. There is a carefully thought-of, scientific process that is applied. Though surveys do have a certain margin of error, it also has some truth into it. But when you think of it, senatorial election survey results are to be read differently from that of presidential. We must take into consideration that senatoriables fight for 12 seats. Even if you end up on the 13th or 14th rank in the surveys, you can still be in good shape. For the presidency, however, where there can only be one, being in number 3 or lower is saying something -- especially if the range of percentages is significantly lower.

My second point is that my right to suffrage comes with responsibility. Sabi nila, kung hindi ka bumoto, wala kang karapatang magreklamo. That is the reason why even the lowest barangay elections, I make an effort to check if I am listed and registered so that come election day, my vote will be counted. No matter how minute it may seem. So in my opinion, no matter how much one rallies behind a candidate, if one's vote is not counted, it'll all be for nothing.

So yes, I am riding the bandwagon and voting for the son of democracy icons. For the following reasons:

1. I believe that if you are brought up by parents that laid their life for the freedom of the nation, you cannot take it away.

2. I don't think he is the lesser evil. I simply think that he is not.

3. The Luisita Massacre? One must take into consideration that he owns less than 2% of the said land.

4. There is a nice video (by Prof. Winnie Monsod) of the SCTEx and C5 extension project put side by side that I shared a few days ago, it's worth viewing.

5. He may not come from the masses but he knows what sacrifice means.

6. I believe that he can win over the Realtor.

7. He loves Glee, too. Hehehe.



8. I would love to have Kris Aquino as the acting First Lady until he marries his Valenzuela Councilor friend.

I am not asking you to vote for him if you do not believe in him. For all we know, I can be wrong. As I was when I voted for the dwarf. But this is my opinion. And I am entitled to one.

No comments:

Post a Comment