Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mama Bear's High School Reunion

Except for very few memories, my high school experience was pale in comparison to all the hype they told me about how high school are the best years a person will go through. Yes. Generally, I did not enjoy high school. Which is why I am not a very big fan of reunions or get-togethers. Of all my high school friends, it is only Abby Camus that I am constantly in contact with.

So last Black Saturday, Mom was invited to a small, casual high school reunion in an obscure resort between Victoria and Pila. And since Mom always tags me along (whether I like it or not), I was tagged along.

So there I was, in my usual suplada self, barking out complaints about how dirty the resort was and why they don't have this and that and this and that... until we reached the two-storey sort-of cabin where the reunion took place.

As I stepped out of the car, I heard singing and laughing from the terrace on the second floor. Then I saw a couple of balding heads. "Kalbo na classmates mo," I remarked.

Mom just smiled and walked up the steep stairs, with me on her heels. And upstairs, I saw Mom's middle-aged former high school classmates. Some recognized Mom right away. Some had to stop for a few moments to recall how she looked like nearly forty years ago.

I stayed for a while, watching Mom and her former classmates catch up on each other. The questions of: Where's... and what happened to's... started flying in every direction. It was a cute sight.

But eventually, boredom got the better of me and I told Mom I'll just pick her up later. As I was on my way back home, I thought of my own little high school reunions.

The first being a year after graduation. Then a few years later. And the biggest was two years ago when our batch celebrated our 10 years anniversary. And yes, you guessed it -- I didn't go.

I didn't go probably because I don't want to realize how far behind I still am from my batchmates. Some of us are already climbing up the corporate ladder, doctors, lawyers, and even more already have families of their own. I don't have any of those. Needless to say, I am still arrested at adolescence. Somehow, I still manage to float around in mediocrity. OR maybe due to the fact that I never really enjoyed high school.

Yes, I may have a handful of happy memories in high school but not enough to really call it enjoyable. I only have two constant friends in high school. Abby, whom I mentioned earlier. And Melanie, who I haven't seen since well... graduation. There's also this other group that I hang out with but most of them fall short of actually being called "friends". We never had enough things in common then, what more now?

I didn't graduate with honors but I did earn a ticket to attend the University. That was where the real fun began. You see, in high school -- or at least the one I attended -- it didn't really matter much if you were the smartest in class. What matters is who you know and who you are related to. At first, I lived by that system. But when I realized that yes, I can be more, I packed my bags and never looked back.

I am not as successful as I wished -- or at least, not yet. I am still a work in progress. But that's okay. My time will come, if not tomorrow, somewhere in the near future. I just have to wait patiently for it.

Early that evening, I went back to that obscure resort to pick Mom up. She was still in light conversation with a couple of people. But we left a few minutes later.

Then I thought, maybe I should give these reunions a chance and attend at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment