Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Stupidity of Eighteen

While washing off the goo on my face a few minutes ago, I remembered that my birthday is in two weeks and that it has been ten years since I made my bow in society. Which again, led me to remembering those stupid things I used to do before. Which I will try to list down and make fun of myself and the stupidity of being 18.



(1) I wore a burgundy dress to my party. One with those strappy, ribbonny almost-nothing-covering-my-back top.

(2) I used to wear bell bottoms to school. Hey! It was "in" at that time.

(3) My pager number was: 1288-55808

(4) My phone number was: 0917-936-7182. My unit was an Ericsson something something (hindi pa siya Sony Ericsson noon)

(5) Aside from the bell bottoms, I also wore those huge bandanas as blouse during summer. YES I DID.

(6) I broke up with my boyfriend because "I needed space." -- astronaut pala!

(7) I thought text messaging was the best invention of all time (I still do! But Twitter is gaining more "pogi points" lately)

(8) I tried my hand at art. I loved it. It didn't love me back. :(

(9) I dated a fratman.

(10) I used to wear platform rubber shoes. They were heavy. I didn't mind. It added three inches to my 5'7".

(11) I failed Math 17 for the 2nd time.

(12) My diet was mainly chips and softdrinks.

(13) I wore three-inch silver stilettos to my party. I feet were crying by the end of the evening.

(14) I always miss LCG (Lectors and Commentators Group) meetings at the Parish of the Holy Sacrifice which is why I was always on probation every other month.

(15) I attended my 7 am classes once a week. Nakakatamad eh.

(16) I sleep during Nat Sci classes.

(17) My then-future boyfriend (na ex ko na ngayon) taught me how to drive. I almost drove our car into a rice field.

(18) I was introduced into the wonderful world of eat-all-you-can and buffet restaurants. Look at where it got me ten years and the added ten inches into my waistline later...

On a more serious note, if I would go back in time and meet my 18-year-old self, I would probably kick her in the a$$. That girl who thought she already knows everything when in fact, she hasn't even began really living.

But if there was something I really treasure when I was eighteen was when I met the girls -- now women -- who I still consider my soul sisters until now. I don't have a digital image of us then... but if you have a FB account, you can easily find them there, listed as: Donna Fe Cruz and Marjorie Somejo. We are the original 'triumvirate'. The girls from Spinola who defied the nuns almost every night.

Now ten years later, here I am, reminiscing and laughing and well, sort-of teary eyed too. Remembering what I used to have but lost and the things that I had to give up so that I can hold on to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment