Thursday, May 27, 2010

18, Ten Years Later

It was not as grand as I thought it would be. My eighteenth birthday, that is. It was simple. I cried during my speech. I danced with three guys at my opening dance, one of which is a doctor already, the other two are engineers. My college barkada and I stayed up all night at the hotel lobby after and ate hash browns at McDonalds in the morning.

Three heartbreaks, several harmless flirtations, a college degree, two research gigs and ten years later. Here we are, at the brink of the technological revolution, and now I can easily send you my thoughts without having to break open the locks of my secret diaries.

In the ten years after I made my bow in society, there were lots of lessons learned, whether it be in love, career, family or life in general. I found out that what was true at 18 does not hold at 28. And what may be true at 28, isn't even imaginable at 18.

At 18, good and bad are two very different things. At 28, the lines between good and bad becomes grey and blurred. And sometimes, it's hard to tell which side you are already on.

'Cause getting your dreams, it's strange, but it seems a little - well - complicated
There's a kind of a sort of : cost, there's a couple of things get: lost
There are bridges you cross, you didn't know you crossed until you've crossed
And if that joy, that thrill doesn't thrill you like you think it will...

Now, at 28, two years into medical school and still a long way ahead. There were dreams that I had to abandon to pursue this one. Dreams of performing, dreams of writing, dreams of having a family of my own -- all of which will have to wait until I see this dream through.

At 28, I met a variety of people. In college, at work, at church, in medical school. And in everyone that I met, whether they have moved on or still with me, and no matter how short or long our interaction has been, I learned life lessons that I hold on to everyday.

I learned that the biggest form of betrayal is cheating.

I learned that lying can get you out of tough situations for a short period of time but will eventually lead you back to even stickier situations.

I learned that falling in love is not limited to those who are allowed to fall in love.

I learned that even friends can break your heart.

I learned that walking in high heels can make you look smarter, if you know to.

I learned that living alone may be fun, but it can get pretty lonely too.

I learned that when all else fails, your family won't.

I learned that it's possible to move on, but forgetting is a completely different thing.

I learned that faith is different from religion.

I learned that love is built on trust.

I learned that crushes go as easily as they came.

I learned that first impressions do last.

I learned that wisdom comes with age.

I learned that lessons are better learned if experienced firsthand.

I learned that dating former college instructors isn't really a good idea.

I learned that dating ex boyfriends is worse.

I learned that no matter what you do, you ex's wife/girlfriend will hate you forever.

I learned that grade school seat mates make really good best friends.

I learned to say no.

I learned to accept whatever eccentricities other people throw my way.

I learned that I am incredibly uptight.

I learned to respect people for their opinions but still think mine's the best.

I learned the meaning of responsibility.

I learned to choose the perfect foundation for my pasty skin.

I learned to blog, facebook, and tweet.

I learned to adjust to other people's needs.

I learned to love unconditionally.

I learned to unlearn.

I still have two years to the big 30. I am hoping that before that comes, I will be able to settle into a relationship that would last long time, maybe forever. I am hoping that by then, I am a few steps away from the MD that I am working so hard for. But for now, I want to thank the people who remembered and greeted me a happy birthday.

To my parents who decided that having me is the best thing that happened to them -- although they won't really admit it right now.

To my boyfriend, who called at midnight to greet me. And who skipped classes to bring me a cake that he did not allow me to eat.

To Fr. JBoy, Fr. Anthony and Kuya M (Fr. Manuel) who remembered my birthday in their masses.

To those who filled my FB wall with greetings and well-wishes. Thank you, you made me feel so blessed.

To those who sent me text messages. I haven't replied yet. But thank you.

To those who greeted me personally, thank you.

I wanted to mention everyone, but that will make this incredibly long post longer, so I will just pick a few...

To my bestfriend Rochie, for always listening to my unending qualms about my impossibly complicated lovelife (you know what I mean ^^)

To Sr. Bren, who came two days before my birthday just to make sure to greet me before she heads off to vacation.

To my med school friends, madami kayo. Thank you for remembering. I will be missing some of you, you know who you are. But let's keep in touch, okay?

To my UP friends, we'll be seeing each other soon.

Now I know that age, really, is just a number. It may be significant, it may not be. But what is important is the number of friends, memories and lessons learned.

And now at 28, as in 18, I know that there will be more lessons, more memories and more friends. Next year, I am hoping to write a longer post, giving way to more experiences, more memories, more lessons and above all, more friends.

HAPPY 28th to me! And moving on to 29!

1 comment:

  1. hi noah! i enjoyed reading this post, especially the lessons. i could definitely relate to most of it.

    Happy Birthday, Girl!

    ReplyDelete