Saturday, May 15, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I know what you're thinking: What the effing crap is this? The heat is blistering and I'm talking about New Years' Resolutions.

For those who doesn't know me well enough to remember that I am turning a year older in two weeks, I always regard May as the year turner for me. Because this is the month when I get to celebrate another year of existence.

During the summer break (and hiatus from everything), I learned and unlearned many things. I met new people, I reconnected with old friends. I went back to my place of refuge. And there I stayed for some time. I had time to think and rethink about the things that I did and said (OR did not or did not say) in the past what -- two years.

I remembered how I was before and realized how different the past two years made me. Medical School does change a person. The more I think about it, the more I want to revert to the old self. In med school, I became too absorbed in what other people would think of me. I started living a shallow life of brand names and expensive food chains. I have forgotten the real reason that I am in med school.

I have forgotten how I promised to not ignore the Parish kids. I haven't been the 'ate' to them for a while already. I have become the tyrant who always barks down orders.

I complain so much of being tired when I could've used the time to do other stuff, rather than just complain.

When stress and pressure started piling in, instead of facing it with grace, I became grumpy and angry.

I let go of my body, gaining no less than 5 kg during Level II alone.

I zoomed in into what I wanted to be in the future that I have forgotten to live in the present. And so, my New Year's Resolutions would be about going back to who I was and loving every moment of it.

(1) Surround myself with smart people. That way, I could keep my own 'smartness' at check.

(2) Always keep in touch with friends especially those out of med school (or have already graduated).

(3) Get a new hobby. I need something fresh and exciting that has nothing to do with medical school.

(4) Don't be afraid to step out of the comfort zone. Since I moved to Manila, I kept myself inside the 20 km radius of the school.

(5) Be more supportive of my boyfriend's 'stuff'. Kahit na minsan, ayoko talaga.

(6) Lose the excess weight: go back to the gym, enroll in a dance class, eat healthy.

(7) Go easy on the coffee.

(8) Go brandless, stay anonymous.

That's the easier ones. The hard stuff, nakakatakot isulat. Kasi yun ang gustong gusto kong baguhin.

In two weeks, a birthday cake will be baked. And it will have my name on it. I may have a party or a simple dinner. A few beers after. I don't know if it will be a full-swing Summer Solstice or a simple sleepover. But I know who I want to spend it with. If you're tagged, you're probably one of them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment